Sunday, April 20, 2014

3 States

Wait, is this about 2 states, the movie ? I haven't watched it yet, No spoilers please 

Umm, Yes. But this is not exactly a film review. The account is personal & generic and does not give the finer plot details away. 

So, where has this 3rd state come from? Is it a gimmick?

Yes and No. Being a marketer, I could not help but have a flashy, perhaps gimmicky title to capture your attention. In advertising parlance, we call this 'Leaning in' and in consumer behavior lexicon, it is called 'Peripheral route to persuasion'.

Now that I am leaned in, are you risking a lean out with all the gyaan ? 

I hope not. Please bear with me a little more, Read on - I hope you will find this a paisa-vasool read (OK, enough of being a marketer - time to wear my writer hat)

I know I am living perilously close to being labeled as a self-styled city guru who loves to deliver sermons on City dwellers/ folks / manoos. But the movie that propelled me to pen this piece had such strong references to contrasts between folks from 2 cities (Actually states) that the City Subject Matter Expert in me could barely lie low. I had myself trawling through my travel bag for a pen to jot down a few things during the interval.

On a more serious note, I am a travel enthusiast. Apart from giving one generous breaks from general monotony of our impossible work lives - Travel also gives one the chance to meet and to get to know people better. I like to make 'people' observations, draw opinions, challenge stereotypes and put reasons to behavior. 

Set in Ahmedabad, apart from Chennai & Delhi of course - 2 States is an endearing narrative of love between two individuals from two different cultures, trying hard to get their families to love each other (Typical Bollywood plot, what’s remarkable here?) 

What is remarkable is the sincere storytelling and some stupendous albeit exaggerated portrayal by the cast . The plot is anybody's guess but there is never a dull moment in the movie making one wanting to throw away the popcorn and leave the cool and comfortable environs of the movie hall. 

What also stands out quite 'remarkably' is the hyperbole that the director has utilized, perhaps exploited to paint out a stark contrast.
The director borrows a few North-South stereotypes, which appear a bit too amplified at a few places,  and are accentuated by generous dosages of humor to make a few points.
I am not perfectly at peace with this hyperbole and would perhaps like to set the record straight :)

A Delhi boy, through my life, I have had to battle out a few stereotypes all these years. 
The movie does not make things any easier for Delhi folks. In fact it lands a few powerful blows to the Delhi-Punju combination. Amrita Singh plays her role with such aplomb and intensity that she single-handedly manages to bruise quite a few Delhi-Punjus.

Yes, Punjus enjoy being pompous sometimes - but not at the cost of steamrolling someone's self-esteem. I think Punjus are generally large hearted and like to get along well with people - their backgrounds being of little consequence. 

Yes, Punju weddings are lavish and extravagant affairs - but not all weigh the worth of a wedding in terms of the cash burnt or gold exchanged. Weddings are memorable affairs, as with any other culture, and probably the only way Punjus know to attach enough importance to these is by making them lavish & extravagant. 

Yes, a lot of Punjus like to be loud and often boisterous - but does that make them lack sophistication ?

Yes, a lot of Punjus like stuff that’s flashy and bright - but that does not mean they lack taste.

No, Punjus do not look down upon vegetarians - A lot of us are vegetarian ourselves :)

No, Punjus do not always expect to get big gifts and bigger cars during weddings - any modern, self-respecting boy would love to buy those on his own. I have never seen a mid wedding melodrama because the groom's family found the arrangements not matching their expectations. Why paint Delhi boys in such bad light ?

And no, Boys are not valuated in terms of dowry they can command. Educated and well to do families frown upon such such conversations. 

No, we are not obsessed with fair skin tones. Delhi summers are quite unforgiving :)

Yes, a lot of Punjus are diplomatic, and would sugar coat what they say - but that does not mean they mean to cheat or back stab.

The movie maker's description of the quintessential Tamil Brahman is quite well balanced, at least in comparison to the picture he paints for Punjus. 

Strict, disciplined,refined,frank and straightforward simpletons - I think that sums it up. There are a few stereotypes used and I think my friends from down south can help quash those.

Hang on - You mentioned 3 states, so it was a gimmick after all - I should have known, Never trust these marketers I say.

Having been to Jaipur a few times now - I had heard enough about Rajmandir that had me longing to catch a movie here. I Walked in with my dad, who had last watched Sholay here in his college days, to catch 2 States.

Rajmandir is the quintessential single screen theater that brings back memories of the first movies we ever watched at movie halls. 

Dreamy eyed, full of anticipation, I walked in to a large waiting area that promises to take you a decade or two back. Majestic Chandeliers,typical 70s designs on the walls, and the generous splash of pastels from the Eastman color palette made the expansive waiting area look similar to a ball room from a 70s movies set (the types where the actresses' father invited the rich and famous of the city for a party - including the odd expat). I couldn't help but notice the number of foreign tourists who had turned up to catch a movie here.

And as the lights lit up, I half expected a Shashi Kapoor to break into an impromptu melody,the sorts Bollywood actors sang in 70s in similar set ups as soon as the pretty actress walked in.

The auditorium is a different world in itself. I cannot recall having been to a movie hall where as many as 1000 people can sit together to enjoy a movie, with unobstructed and clear views from every corner.

With red lights glowing from behind intricate plaster of paris designs on the walls - the world did look surreal & very Bollywood like. (The tone of red I thought was a tad bit similar to the red used to light up Shakaal's den in the movie Shaan ;))

The red curtain on the screen lifted with grace, promising to immerse the audiences into what was to be an experience of a lifetime. 

I wouldn't be totally honest if I do not mention that the Delhi-waala in me, somewhat in love with the plastic lives we lead, found it difficult to adjust to the atmosphere in a Single Screen Non Delhi/Non Mumbai theater.
It was as if I found my self image at loggerheads with what I had decided to indulge in. The audience was loud, never missing a moment to whistle or hoot - making me a little uncomfortable.

As the movie pulled along, the cheering became louder and accentuated several defining moments in the film - one such moment being when Ananya's mom bowled over the audience with her SP Balasubramaniam & Kaho na Pyar Hai medley. I think the moment had a part to play in the overall plot, wouldn't dwell on it more in the interest of those who haven't watched the movie yet.

There are several such defining moments in the movie which get suitably interjected, or rather complimented by roars from the audience - almost as if the audience was wanting to get up on its feet and deliver a thunderous applause. I am a bit of a movie buff - But never in my life have I seen movie goers enjoy the little gems in the movie such unabashedly. 

As and when a tear or two swelled in the audience's eyes, ready to roll down the cheeks - the moment was brought alive, and the emotion magnified by the ever so familiar unabashed hooting - which suddenly was not beginning to seem cheap anymore.I was beginning to shed the illusional self image, and had started to enjoy the claps, the cheering and the whistles. 
The stiff upper lip of a Delhi waala was slowly beginning to complement the lower lip, which was now effortlessly stretching from one ear to another. 

But what made this movie watching experience so different ? 

I gave it some thought. I have never seen such unrestrained display of enjoyment. Purity of emotions , not weighed down by the burden of managing any perceptions defined the 
crowd in the movie hall that day. I think, this has a lot to do with the character of the city. Having been to the city several times, I find Jaipur dwellers unbridled, unshackled, unadulterated and immensely expressive - not scared for a moment to showcase their original selves. Perhaps there are no two sets of 'images' they maintain. 
  
Edit: Dad just got a call from a local Jaipur resident who helped us arrange for cab at midnight, to check if the cab arrived on time and if we got onto our Volvo. We had never met him before, and he wasn't a travel agent or something. Just another ordinary resident we happened to me on the street while having a post dinner stroll. How cool is that ?  Wonder how many of us would go out of our way to help strangers out, and then bother to check the next morning. This for me sums Jaipur up.

Metro dwellers, and particularly those in Delhi find themselves ensnared in perception management, carefully building and protecting layers around their true selves every single day, not allowing themselves to enjoy life enough.



Brickbats and bouquets welcome. 


2 comments:

  1. Thot it'd just be a another read before falling asleep but turned out to be much better. having only seen the trailer i think there is an overdose of delhi-punju stuff here. moreover, intention for inclusion of the third state seems like the primary reason you sat down to write this blog. it's a little skewed towards that topic... i believe it would've come out much better if u waited some more before writing this... overall a good compilation of recent thoughts... expect to see more lk these in future... ** was purely intended to critique and not praise**
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Akhil for the honest critique. The triggers for writing this were many - The movie, some recent travelling and some free time for contemplation. It always remains a challenge for a writer to put together some recent thoughts into a coherent continuous piece. I take your feedback on the skew, but I dont think I could have managed better with this mix of thoughts. In any case, would keep this at the back of my mind when I write next . Thanks for reading and sharing your feedback.

      Delete