Saturday, April 5, 2014

Delhi, I had known


Last week, whiling away time on the internet, I stumbled upon something interesting. It was a blog post that I had written almost 5 years back. Drowned in a cocktail of emotions, I sifted through what I had written as a twenty one year old. This rendezvous with the past self was both embarrassing and thought provoking. Embarrassing because the 'twenty-something' who had once wanted to write, has lost interest and perhaps also the skill to write in these 5 years. Thought provoking because a couple of pieces I had written about Delhi & Mumbai had me at loggerheads with what I now think.

I hope to make amends. I hope to write more frequently from here on. And what better way to start than to revisit the pieces I had written about Delhi with a fresh lens.

On a sultry May evening, driving back from work, perhaps a little lost in recollecting what had happened at an office meeting, I was a little late to press the brake pedal at a traffic signal. Traffic these days in Delhi is unforgiving, and the slightest mistake on roads could have you cringing for days. What followed was eyeopening - quite literally. The sudden braking did shake me out of what I had been thinking, and what ensued shook me out of what I thought of Delhi. 

My car managed to stop just in time, or so I now think, as major damage to the white sedan that waited ahead was averted. I would be dishonest if I do not admit that my car had actually touched the car in front. I stepped out, so did the tall bouncer like figure from the white car. Reassured that there was no damage done, I tendered an immediate apology. Even if there had been any damage, I was prepared to make good for it. These days the word sorry perhaps has lost relevance. The bouncer like figure was furious, and was quick to dismiss the apology I had tendered. "What good is your sorry", he questioned with a crude overtone, in a manner that betrayed impatience, intolerance and angst people in Delhi have been harboring off late. The one-sided charge, which could have been the 'popular Delhi traffic light brawl', was cut short by the signal turning green and incessant honking by cars that had queued up behind ours. 

On yet another traffic stricken evening, and this time in pleasant February, I found myself in a similar situation - except that this time my car was at the receiving end. Rolling down the Rao Tula Ram flyover, which at best is fit to be only a foot over-bridge, my car was bumped into by another car from behind. I was furious for a few seconds - got off the car promising myself to stay cool. The damage was minimal and the lady in the other car offered an apology. I accepted the apology, perhaps with a little grudge, and chose to move on. 

Whats making the Delhiwaalahs live on a short fuse ? Why are people in Delhi getting increasingly intolerant of fellow city dwellers, unwilling to accommodate, and accept honest admissions ? Is this the "Dilwalon Ki Dilli" that I had known ?


P.S : You can still consider me as a fairly safe driver, ignoring the 'exceptional' incidents narrated above :)

No comments:

Post a Comment